When I was growing up, my dad loved toffee. So if toffee could find its way into a recipe, my mother put it in there. It was her secret to marital bliss. Imagine my surprise when I found out that toffee cupcakes, toffee coffee cake, and toffee-flavored ice cream weren’t staples in everyone’s home. Nonetheless, is it any wonder I grew up thinking that toffee is a food group?
And so while choosing to launch our website’s newest feature – the Vegan Recipe Box – with toffee may seem an odd choice – it is, from my perspective, a sensible and logical place to start. Fortunately, it is quick and easy to make your own delicious toffee at home.
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ¾ cup packed vegan brown sugar
- ½ cup Earth Balance margarine
- ½ cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Grease an 8x8x2 inch baking dish.
- Spread pecans evenly in the pan.
- Heat sugar and margarine in a large saucepan until boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil over medium heat, stirring constantly and vigorously, for 7 minutes.
- Spread mixture evenly in pan on top of nuts.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly on top of toffee mixture, then cover with a larger baking dish to contain heat so that the chips will melt.
- After 1 minute, remove baking sheet, and spread chocolate evenly with spatula or butter knife.
- While still hot, score candy into 2 inch squares.
- Place candy in fridge to chill until firm.
- When chilled and chocolate is firm, remove from pan and break into pieces.
Download a PDF of the recipe by clicking here.