Vegan chocolate and carmelized banana crêpes. Or as the French would say, chocolat végétalien et caramélisés crêpes banane. We admit, they are not very “All American,” but they are vegan. They have all the American essentials: chocolate sauce, whipped cream and some fruit after it has been drenched in maple syrup. And their deliciousness will amaze, astound and inspire your non-vegan family and friends. Vive la France!
Makes 8 crepes (Serves 4)
– 2 cups diced bananas
– 4 Tbs. Margarine
– 2 Tbs. Maple syrup
– 1 cup flour
– 3 tsp. egg replacer powder (Ener-G brand)
– 1/4 tsp. salt
– 1/2 cup plus 4 Tbs. water
– 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
– 2 Tbs. melted vegan margarine (Earth Balance brand)
– Vegan powdered sugar for dusting
– Non-dairy whipped topping (Soy-Ya-Too or MimicCremeHealthy Top brands)
– Chocolate Syrup (Ah-laska or Santa Cruz brand)
– Non- stick griddle
Make Banana Filling:
- Melt 2 Tbs. margarine in a pan over medium heat, then add bananas. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, adding more margarine as needed to prevent sticking.
- Drizzle bananas evenly with maple syrup, stir to coat and cook for 1 more minute. Cover and remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl stir together flour, egg replacer powder and salt.
- Separately, stir together water, non-dairy milk and margarine.
- Pour wet into dry ingredients, whisk together and beat until smooth.
- Heat a lightly oiled non-stick griddle over medium high heat. When a drop of water skitters on griddle, it is ready.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter into center of pan, then swirl around pan to enlarge and evenly distribute until crepe is approximately 1/8 inch thick. Cook for 2 minutes, until bottom is lightly browned.
- Flip, then cook other side.
- Remove from pan to plate. Cook remaining crepes.
- Place crepes on a flat surface and lightly dust them with powdered sugar, then drizzle with warm chocolate syrup.
- Evenly distribute banana filling in each crepe, in the middle, along the diameter of the crepe. Then evenly distribute approximately 1/8 cup whipped cream on top of bananas.
- Roll up crepe then place on serving plate, open end face down.
- Place two crepes on each plate, then lightly dust again with powdered sugar.
- Drizzle with chocolate sauce. Top with more whipped cream.
Follow us on Facebook: facebook.com/allamericanvegan
Follow us on twitter: @allamervegan
Buy the book: All American Vegan