- 2 1/2 Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, quartered & cut into 1/8 inch thick slices)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated vegan sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbs corn starch
- 4 sheets vegan phyllo dough, thawed (Fillo Factory Organic Fillo Dough)
- 1/4 cup melted vegan margarine (Earth Balance)
- 1/8 cup granulated vegan sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan powdered sugar
- 1 Tbs plus 1 tsp vegan non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine apples, cinnamon, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and toss to coat. Sprinkle with lemon juice and toss to coat again. Set aside.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Drizzle 2 tsp. melted margarine on the phyllo. With the back of a spoon or clean fingers, gently spread the margarine even over phyllo.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp. sugar evenly over phyllo.
- Lay second sheet of phyllo on top of first and spread with margarine and sprinkle with sugar as described above. Repeat with remaining 2 sheets of phyllo.
- Arrange apple slices in a vertical line down the phyllo dough, several inches away from the end.
- Fold over and roll (like a burrito), folding in ends as you go, until completely rolled up, seam side down.
- Drizzle strudel with remaining margarine and spread evenly, then sprinkle evenly with remaining sugar.
- With a serrated knife, cut the top of the strudel with 6 diagonals.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. If the crust is brown and the apples are not yet ready, cover strudel with foil to prevent overbrowning while apples tenderize.
- Meanwhile, prepare glaze by blending powdered sugar and non-dairy milk until smooth and lump free.
- When strudel is completely cooled, drizzle with icing. To do this, drizzle a spoonful of glaze in a thin stream back and forth across the entire length of the strudel until glaze is gone.
Follow on Facebook: www.facebook.com/allamericanvegan
Follow on twitter: @allamervegan
Buy the book at a special price until January 31: All American Vegan