Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins: For the Start of a Delicious, Guilt free Day
Kudos to whoever invented the muffin then had the genius idea of serving it in the morning instead of as a dessert after dinner. Although they are really a cake, their official classification as “breakfast food” means you get to eat cake for breakfast without the guilt or raised eyebrows of family or coworkers. Chocolate chip muffins exploit this loophole even more, allowing you to enjoy chocolate and cake first thing in the morning and no one is allowed to judge you because, after all, you are just eating a muffin. The fact that our chocolate chip muffins are made without any animal products gives you even more reason to skip the guilt and indulge. We can’t think of a yummier way to start your day.
- 2/3 cup melted vegan margarine (Earth Balance brand)
- 1 cup vegan sugar
- 1 Tbs. vanilla
- 3/4 cup soymilk
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. egg replacer powder (Ener-G brand)
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (Enjoy Life Mini Chips are best)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin pan with one dozen muffin papers.
- Combine melted margarine, sugar, vanilla, soymilk and vinegar in a large mixing bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Separately, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, egg replacer powder and salt and stir together.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, stirring to throughly combine, then beat for one minute.
- Add chocolate chips to batter, and stir until evenly distributed.
- Scoop batter into muffin papers, three quarters from top edge of the muffin papers.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean (not including melted chocolate).
Makes 1 dozen muffins
Follow on Facebook: www.facebook.com/allamericanvegan
Follow on twitter: @allamervegan
Buy the book: All American Vegan