Woops, our bad. (This only applies to the hard cover version. It has been corrected in the second edition paperback.)
In our recipe for homemade seitan, Not Sausage, hamburgers, and the Stuffed Not a Turkey, the recipe calls for “wheat gluten flour.” It should read “vital wheat gluten flour.”
Cream of Mushroom Soup
In our Cream of Mushroom Soup directions (p. 103), we accidentally call for the inclusion of flour twice. Please ignore the second mention. The directions should read as follows:
- In a large stockpot, sauté mushrooms, onions, bay leaf, and thyme in 3 Tbs. margarine over medium heat until mushrooms and onions are tender.
- Add broth, bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Puree this mixture with flour in a blender, leaving a few chunks. Be careful when blending hot liquid, as it can push the lid off of the blender. Place lid on tight, cover with dish towel and hold lid down tightly before turning the blender on.
- Melt 1 Tbs. margarine in empty stockpot.
- Return mushroom puree to stockpot, then add cream. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Bring soup to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to simmer. Soup should be the consistency of cream soup. If not, cook a few minutes more until soup thickens.
Serve with vegan crackers, buttermilk biscuits (recipe, p. 111), or crescent rolls (recipe, p. 155).